January 1, 2017
The lotus flower rises from the mud and murky water each day to bloom pure within the light of the sun. Each night it withdraws its bloom back into the water. Yet with the rising sun, the lotus once again rises and reaches for the sun.
It is not surprising that the lotus has been associated with purity and beauty. Ancient Egyptians associated the lotus with the sun and creation, as well as with rebirth and a tool for resurrection. Buddhists see the lotus as a symbol of purity, rebirth, and spiritual enlightenment. Many gods are depicted resting upon a lotus to represent the wise and spiritually enlightened quality of that person. Riding upon a lotus is also representative of someone who carries out their tasks with little concern for any reward and with a full liberation from attachment.
The color of the lotus also has meaning.
1. Blue Lotus Flower: is associated with a victory of the spirit over that of wisdom, intelligence and knowledge.
2. White Lotus Flower: symbolizes Bodhi (being awakened), and represents a state of mental purity, as well as spiritual perfection. It is also associated with the pacification of one’s nature. This lotus is considered to be the womb of the world.
3. Purple Lotus Flower: is known to be mystic and is often associated with esoteric sects. The eight petals of the purple lotus are representative of the noble eightfold path; one of the principal teachings of the Buddha.
4. Pink Lotus Flower: is the supreme lotus and is considered to be the true lotus of Buddha.
5. Red Lotus Flower: is related to the heart, love and compassion.
Not only does the lotus have spiritual meaning, its flowers, seed, leaves, and parts of the underground root (rhizome) are used to make medicine. There is a long list of medicinal uses of lotus including cardio vascular benefits, improved gastro-intestinal function, stress reduction and weight management. Lotus root can also be attributed to its unique mix of vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, is a significant source of dietary fiber, and even a decent source of protein. Lotus is also reported to assist with visions and dream recall.
Explore the numerous attributes of this divine flower and reach for the light!